[mrtg] Re: How can I receive warning when a port loses connection ?

Ni Patrick-A11024 Patrick.Ni at motorola.com
Mon Jan 29 18:24:01 MET 2001

1. You can use MRTG-Ping-Probe and MRTG threshold checking to do this.

2. I also wrote a script using MRTG SNMP API (SNMP_Session.pm and
SNMP_util.pm) to query Cisco switches for interface admin status and
operation status (there are corresponding OID for this). When it is
down, page me. (using pqage).

The above methods both poll the monitored devices at an interval you
set, say 3 or 5 minutes.

I am now working on writing a SNMP trap receiving and handling program.
This way, if the host is down, you can ask the switch to send you a trap
righ on your pager or cellular phone.

Patrick