[mrtg] Re: question on forks/includes

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Mon Jan 29 22:50:14 MET 2001

Today Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

 | Daniel R. Kilbourne wrote:
 |
 | > If I have a cfg that lists several other cfg's as includes, where do I put
 | > the 'fork' statement? Do I put it in the cfg that lists the includes, or
 | > the cfg is included?
 |
 | I don't know if this is a MUST, but I did it as follows:
 | - Every target is in its own include file, only including per_target stuff
 | - Global stuff is in the mrtg.cfg file
 | - fork is in the global file and is the same as the number of includes

I would recommend to experiment with a number of forks equivalent
to the number of different routers you query ... (within reason)
... if you query 1000 routers you do not want to have 1000 forks,
but maybe 100 or 50 or 20 ... it is realy a mpatter of
communication latency between you and your routers, the ammount of
ram in your machines and the speed of your network ...

cheers
tobi

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich