[mrtg] Re: Help About Sun & Cat5000 ..... !!

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Sun Jul 15 02:24:25 MEST 2001

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Shujaat Nazir Khan wrote:

> My critical Sun-Servers are attached with my Cisco Cat5000 Switch. I
> just want to know that can I pick the stats of my Sun-Servers through
> Cat5000. If yes, then snmp should be enable on only Sun-Servers or on
> Cat5000 or both ???

What is the problem that you're trying to solve?  If by "stats" you mean
traffic in and out of each server, then MRTG straight out of the box with
the regular cfgmaker monitoring just the switch will do just fine.  You'll
need SNMP running on the switch only.

If you want to drill down into such things as disk space, CPU, swaps, etc.
on the servers (anything other than in and out traffic), then you'll need
to customize.  This customization can either be SNMP or scripts on the
servers or both depending on what you're trying to measure.

> And how can I get the OIDs & MIBs for that purpose ???

Read the archives, the docs, and the contrib directory in the distribution.

Odds are pretty good that someone else has needed to do something similar
before and included some hints, sample scripts, or a complete package.

Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323