[mrtg] Re: installing on SPARCstation 5?

Daniel R. Kilbourne drk at voyager.net
Mon Jul 16 16:14:13 MEST 2001

Check out http://netophilia.net/main.html

I have a few things there you may be interested in.

First, the 'snmpd on *nix' section will help you get snmpd up and running
on the UNIX box

the 'oids' section will give you some oids you can use to monitor the box
itself.

As for exact instructions on installing mrtg itself, look at the mrtg home
page (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/) and look for the
section titled 'UNIX MRTG Installation Guide).' It should give you the
instruction you need. It includes links to all of the stuff you need (perl,
gd, libpng, zlib). Most of these come with pretty good instrcutions on
installing them, but feel free to ask me any specific ?s you have (I LOVE
to do anything I can to help people switch from Windows to a real OS :)

At 12:28 PM 7/16/2001 +0000, David Forsyth wrote:

>Hiya
>
>I'm not a Unix guru at all, and have been running MRTG on a Windows
>95 box for about a year now.   That box has had to be moved to a new
>use and I have a spare SPARCstation 5 I can use for MRTG.
>
>It's running Solaris 2.4
>
>Now, I'll probably need to update/install perl (I was using
>ActivePerl on the Windows box), and then mrtg itself. I need tips and
>instructions on this process, I only know the most basic of basic
>things on using this machine, but am wanting to learn, and the best
>way to learn is to get something installed and working  (-:
>
>thanks
>
>--
>        David Forsyth
>Principal Technical Officer  -- Institute for Water Research
>http://www.ru.ac.za/institutes/iwr/
>Grahamstown - South Africa
>

>--

Daniel R. Kilbourne