[mrtg] Re: Speeding up 14all.cgi

Rainer Bawidamann rainer at bawidamann.de
Thu Jul 19 21:49:53 MEST 2001

Hi!

> I switched to SpeedyCGI for the 14all.cgi script and it does
> seem to speed the pages up a bit.  Thanks for the tip, but a side effect
> of this is that when it runs i see 2 processes called   speedy_backend
> appear in my proc list and they are gobbling up my cpu pretty bad.  For large pages
> it might go to 90%.  Any thoughts?

These processes are doing the real job - reading the config files,
creating the html pages and graphs.

The first think might be the problem: parsing the config file takes time.
Tobi had an idea how to speed it up but I have to make sure that the
config file gets parsed again if it changes.

My problem is to find the time to do this ...

> Version 1.0 only: If the CGI can write into the directory where the config
> file is it will create a "config cache" so it doesn't have to read and
> parse the config file each time it's called. This should make it run
> faster with big config files.
>
> Should this produce files with the .conf extension, i.e. how are we
> supposed to know if it is creating the "config cache"?

It creates files with the extension ".cache".

Rainer