[mrtg] Re: 7500 mem usage?

Daniel J McDonald dmcdonald at digicontech.com
Wed Jul 25 21:19:21 MEST 2001

>I have a 7500 series router that I need to get the memory usage from!
>The following config is one that tells me that memory free...
>NOT utilized! What am i missing?  How do I get the memory being
>utilized?
>Target[iehubmem]:
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.8.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.8.0:public at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

First off, don't use the old-cisco-monolithic mib.

Second, use the CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB, in particular:
ciscoMemoryPoolUsed

I personally find that ciscoMemoryPoolFree and ciscoMemoryPoolLargestFree
are more interesting, but that's just 7 years of tracking memory-leak bugs
talking...

Thirdly, you'll need to do an SNMP walk to find out how many memory pools
there are on your box and which one you are most interested.  More than
likely the pool of type 1 (processor), but you never know if you might be
tracking down a problem with optimum switching chewing up too much cache
space.

Finally, watch out for VIP cards, since they have their own processor and IO
pools,  you may decide you need to monitor all sorts of things.