[mrtg] Off-Topic: "ambient traffic"

Reed Mohn, Anders Anders.Reed.Mohn at itcompagniet.no
Fri Jun 1 11:24:00 MEST 2001

We have two routers connecting us to a couple of links that are
practically never used. Thus, most of what's graphed looks like
just "ambient noise". I assume this is the traffic from/to MRTG
itself that shows.
The routers are a Cisco 2503 and a Cisco 3620.

What I'm wondering is this:
I monitor 2 interfaces on the 2503, and three interfaces on the 3620.
I am measuring a "constant" stream of 200bps into and
100bps out of the 2503 LAN IF.
For the 3620 it's <20bps into and about 100bps out of the LAN IF.

Why the enourmous difference in ingoing traffic?
Is the 2503 picking up more stuff than just the MRTG-traffic,
or is this the amount of traffic I should expect?

The volume is so low, it doesn't really matter, but the difference just
annoys me....

Cheers,
Anders :)