[mrtg] MRTG "hanging"

Neil Pike NeilPike at compuserve.com
Mon Jun 4 17:37:46 MEST 2001

 MRTG 2.9.12a on NT 4.0 SP6a with Perl 5.6.1 build 626 (ActiveState).

 I've been running against 29 config files every 5 mins via a service in
this setup for about 3 weeks with no issues.  Suddenly this morning the
stats stopped updating.  When I checked it looked like the PERL stuff was
still being kicked off every 5 mins by the service, but they were all
hanging.  No errors in the event viewer or mrtg dirs, but lots of _l_l
(lots of _l's) were being created in the conf directory.  The only other
sign of problems were hundreds of "unable to initialise module
kernel32.dll" messages against perl.exe and cmd.exe.

 I killed off all the stalled .exe's and restarted everything and it all
seemed fine.

 Anyone seen anything similar?

 (I took the opportunity to upgrade to 2.9.14 whilst it was down anyway)

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd