[mrtg] SNMP Security on NT.

Matt Walkowiak mwalkowi at intxx.com
Tue Jun 5 16:57:26 MEST 2001

What does everyone feel about enabling SNMP on a Windows NT bastion host.  I
am building a few Web Servers that will be outside the firewall, wide open
on the internet.  Since I don't know a lot about SNMP and hacking, how
secure is NT 4's SNMP implementation?  is it "safe" to have a server outside
the firewall with SNMP loaded, even if it has a non-standard community
string for RO, no RW.

Thoughts?

I should mention, I would appreciate it if the responses I get do NOT blast
NT as super-unsecured.  We all already know this.  However, all else being
equal, is it a big deal to enable SNMP on an unsecured server?

Thanks!

Matt