[mrtg] Re: Server Specs.

Jon Viventi jviventi at Princeton.EDU
Fri Jun 8 03:18:52 MEST 2001

RedHat 7.1

Yeah, the box works flawlessly when it first boots, but each sucessive time
it runs it loads up more and more ram until it slows. I upgraded to 384 to
see if that would help (from 256meg), but it just used up that ram too....

Maybe i'm running too many processes.. I have 10 running.... Maybe I should
combine some of the smaller ones down to 5 processes and start one each
minute?

It also seems to be wasting time waiting for down sites. Plus, I'm
monitoring over a few 32k PVCs....

I dont know. What does everyone think? Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch [mailto:mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch]On
Behalf Of Tim Kennedy
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 8:56 PM
To: Jon Viventi
Cc: John Oliver; mrtg
Subject: [mrtg] Re: Server Specs.

I used to use a dual xeon 400, with 512mb of ram, and ultra-wide scsi
disks, and i used to poll about 115,000 interfaces every 5 minutes.
we ran 5 processes in parallel, or it took about 11-12 minutes to complete
a cycle.

the OS was freebsd.

that was a couple of years ago, though.

Recently I had another server that was running on two 10gig ultra-66 IDE
disks, running linux, that was performing horrendously, and crashing a lot.
I upgraded the disks to 2 18g ultra wide SCSI disks, and the box has been
performing flawlessly since.
This box was mosltly running a webserver, though it did some other stuff.
Nothing that should have put enough load on it to matter, though.

just reaffirms my long standing prejudice against IDE drives.
(no flames, please)

It does sound like the box should be performing better, but I can't
really say what might be the problem.

What OS are you using?

-Tim

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001, Jon Viventi spake thus:

--
Timothy Kennedy
Network Operations Manager
tkennedy at yellowbrix.com
Cell: 703-216-5957
PGP Fingerprint: 07 F1 31 99 89 BC 91 AD  08 E5 B5 67 51 1B 53 49