[mrtg] MRTG Port Names on Cisco 1900 Switches

Peter Hand peter.hand at compaq.com
Fri Jun 8 04:02:45 MEST 2001

Apologies if you've seen this twice - I inadvertently sent this to
mrtg-developers first.

Hi All,
        I've been using MRTG (for a couple of years now) to monitor LAN's
consisting of (old) DEC network gear and a mixture of Catalyst 5000's,
2900's, and 1900's. Getting the traffic data is no problem, but getting
the switch port descriptions correctly into the config file (the
descriptions entered on the switch) is still troublesome.

There's a special case (cfgmaker line 488 in 2.9.15) in recent versions
of MRTG for 'Catalysts', which works on the 5000's, and a general oid
(CiscolocIfDescr) that sort of works on 2900's (it prefixes all names
with "FastEthernet 0/x" which screws up sorting my spreadsheets ...), but
the 1900's defy all attempts at getting all the port descriptions.

I know the oid (.enterprises.437.1.1.3.3.1.1.3), and I have hacked at
cfgmaker to use this , but it only gets the names from port id's above 10
(???). The format for the above (catalyst) special case has a blade.port
number on the end of the oid, but the 1900 just has a port number. This
is where my perl starts to fall down, so ...

Has anyone sucessfully got the port descriptions from a 1900 into a .cfg
file (other than manually editing it ? (I've got 50+ switches on one site
alone, and automating the MRTG stuff is critical). If so, any info on how
would be appreciated.

Regards,
        Pete