[mrtg] Re: Repost: Community strings with '@' in the name

Roberts Ross Ross.Roberts at cable.alcatel.com
Tue Jun 12 16:05:23 MEST 2001

> useful for us: they are located in the Mib2/dot1dBridge
> (.1.3.6.1.2.1.17...). For example, one entry is a table of all the MAC
> adress for which the switch has forwarding or filtering packets:
> .1.3.6.1.2.1.17.4.3.1.1
>
> What I very need is the same information for the cards of our
> Corebuilder.

You have to access the info from each card individually; it appears the
Core9s do not keep a 'master list' of this info. So you use that MIB
combined with your newly-discovered community strings and pull each card's
info. ("snmpwalk 'host' public at fabric 1.3.6.1.2.1.17.4.3.1.1" if you have
the UCD snmp-tools)

Not the answer you're looking for, but it appears that's the only way to do
it. I had the start of a perl script to pull the entire table and list it
via card/port but haven't had time to get back to it. As the community
strings are kept in a table at the root level, it should be trivial to
automate this kinda thing in perl (with the right modules of course).

Sorry if others consider it waste of bw, but I figured someone helped me
with my stupid FAQ questions (of which I have been duly LARTed) so I'd pass
along what I knew on something else.

-r