[mrtg] Re: mrtg & 95th %ile

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Jun 19 20:24:24 MEST 2001

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Sven wrote:

> I have a 95th percentile script for mrtg but is there a way that i can make
> the script do the percentile from the 10th of every month for 30 days (for
> example)??? is this possible? im not much of a scripter so i am not sure..
>
> Any help would be appreciated..

Most of the scripts I've seen keep a running total of the last 30 days.

What is the problem you're trying to solve?

If you want to take a snapshot on the tenth of each month for billing,
then just run a cron job to capture the data on that day.

If instead you want to clear all of the accumulated samples so that the
calculations begin fresh on the tenth, then you probably want to rotate
out your logged data to a different file on the tenth of each month.
This would cause the script to start with zero samples at the rotation
time.

Either of these sounds like a trivial exercise using cron.

Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323