[mrtg] mrtg polling by description

Eduardo Jordan G. ejordan at sitioactivo.net
Wed Jun 20 14:12:42 MEST 2001

Hello,

My config:

Red Hat Linux 6.2
MRTG 2.9.17
RRDTOOL 1.0.33
PERL 5.6.0
mrtg.cfg has lines:

#######  Configuraciones Globales  #######

RunAsDaemon: Yes
WorkDir: /home/apache/mrtg
Options[_]: bits, growright
Interval: 5
LogFormat: rrdtool
PathAdd: /usr/local/rrdtool/bin/
LibAdd: /usr/local/rrdtool/lib/perl/

Target[customer1]: \Descriptionl:cstring at x.x.x.x
MaxBytes[customer1]: 8000
Title[customer1]: Customer 1
PageTop[customer1]: Customer 1

When I try to get it working (./mrtg mrtg.cfg), I'm trying
to poll a Cisco 7500, I got following error:

WARNING: Could not match host:'cstring at x.x.x.x' ref:'Descr' key:'Description1'

I just need mrtg/rrdtool to generate rrd files therefore
I deleted all HTML tags from cfg file. Acording to documentation,
mrtg can use a description instead a ip or serial port name. That's
why I need so I don't have to edit my cfg file every time that router
administrator insert or modify my customer ports into router.
Any idea or advice?

TIA

Eduardo Jordan