[mrtg] remote statistics

Duane Powers duane at uberLAN.net
Fri Jun 22 17:33:11 MEST 2001

Hi list,

I've been lurking here for awhile, hoping to get an answer to my
question, but no one has breached the subject. I'm new to snmp,
though I have been running interface statistics for several months now.

What I'd like to do, is gather mail stats, dns stats and similar,
(logged in users, cpu utilization, hard drive space).  I've found
scripts that do this, but after running them for awhile, it appears I'm
actually reporting on the local box (mrtg_server) not the remote host
(mail_server), the graphs are identical, though the numbers may not be.
Can anyone either a) inform me b) point me to thorough documentation.
Questions I have include, "Do I have to run mrtg on each box I want to
gather statistics for?" "How do I call a script on a remote box from
mrtg_server?"  "Can I run a perl or shell script on a remote box (say a
local_cisco_router) that will, for instance, ping a remote host (say my
isp's edge_router) and then report to the mrtg_server the results, for
graphing?" Are there any books y'all recommend to bring me up to speed
on snmp?

Thanks in Advance,

Duane