[mrtg] Re: remote statistics

Justin Shore listuser at neo.pittstate.edu
Fri Jun 22 18:18:46 MEST 2001

At 9:13 AM -0700 6/22/01, Duane Powers wrote:
>Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
>
>>  Duane Powers wrote:
>>

>>>What I'd like to do, is gather mail stats, dns stats and similar,
>>>(logged in users, cpu utilization, hard drive space).  I've found
>>>scripts that do this, but after running them for awhile, it appears I'm
>>>actually reporting on the local box (mrtg_server) not the remote host
>>>(mail_server), the graphs are identical, though the numbers may not be.
>>>

>>  It is rather simple.  MRTG does not generate statistics, it just collects
>>  them.  If you can run a script and this script generates statistics from
>>  a remote location then you can monitor that remote location.  If the
>>  script works on the local host and on the local host alone, you don't
>>  get statistics from a remote computer.
>>
>>  The rule of the thumb is:
>>  First make sure you can get the numbers (using SNMP or otherwise). Only
>>  then start even thinking about MRTG.
>>
>>  I hope this generic answer will do.
>>
>>  cheers,
>>

>Well, it starts to help :o)
>

>I was thinking SNMP _was_ the way to collect remote statistics, I guess
>I just need to find a primer on snmp.
>
>~duane

SNMP is _if_ the SNMP daemon will report the data you want to graph.
Most SNMP daemons allow for this kind of thing.  I don't know how to
do it personally.  I usually write myself a little script to get
everything but actually networking data (packets, bytes, etc...).
Scripts work well.

Cheers,
   justin

Justin Shore                    Pittsburg State University
Systems Manager                 Kelce 157Q
Office of Information Systems   Pittsburg, KS 66762
Voice: (316) 235-4606           Fax: (316) 235-4545
http://www.pittstate.edu/ois/

Warning:  This message has been quadruple Rot13'ed for your protection.