[mrtg] FW: mrtg and bind 9

Ripley, Scott Scott.Ripley at mail.house.gov
Wed Jun 27 17:21:17 MEST 2001

Steve,

I tried that stat.pl extension, but could never get it to work correctly.
And we're not running BIND9 (not that brave) so I can't comment on the
format of the stats file.

But it is easy enough to gather your own stats using that named.stats file.
Write a script to parse the data you want out of the stats dump, then call
that script from MRTG.

We gather numbers on ALL, PTR, CNAME,MX and ANY using this script. This
script has options for each set of data (since MRTG can only take two
numbers at a time) so, for example:

Target[dns_all]: `/path/to/script/getstats all`
Target[dns_cname]: `/path/to/script/getstats cname`

The tricky part for us, since MRTG doesn't run on the DNS servers
themselves, was getting the data to the MRTG machine. One script on each DNS
servers parses new statistics from the stats dump, and the MRTG machine
gathers those files via an expect script and tftp.

The getstats script then uses those files to give MRTG new numbers. It's
sounds more complicated than it is, but having those DNS stats has been a
real boon for us, so the effort has been worth it.

I hope my confusing explanation has been of some help.

Scott Ripley
DNS Administrator, House Information Resources
202.226.2833 - mailto:scott.ripley at mail.house.gov