[mrtg] Re: Cisco 3524 switch finding but not showing down ports?

nellson at or.blm.gov nellson at or.blm.gov
Fri Mar 9 00:22:10 MET 2001

That is what I was affraid of though. In out network, we have several folks
that are permitted to make changes (adds) to the switch, and we need to
maintain accurate graphs.  so they run a build batch file that reruns
cfgmaker and indexmaker for me.  Being able to see the down ports as well
allows me to see if someone has a piece of gear connected getting data when
they shouldn't be... I use this a lot on routers where this works very
well. I was hoping to keep this functionality on the switches.

Tobi/and crew: Is this a possible addition for an option switch to
cfgmaker?

Nick

                    "Rene Wijninga"
                    <rene.wijninga at wij        To:     <nellson at or.blm.gov>, <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
                    ninga.org>                cc:
                                              Subject:     Re: Cisco 3524 switch finding but not showing down ports?
                    03/08/01 03:10 PM

Nick,

 If there is nothing connected to that particular port, the Cisco will
report it as line protocol down, which MrtG sees as speed 0, which makes
perfectely good sense, IMHO. Best is to connect something to all ports and
then do the configmaker trick, or copy the config from the connected ports
to the commented out ports.

Hope this helps.

 Rene