[mrtg] Re: secondary address on ethers

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Mar 14 21:18:58 MET 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Daniel R . Kilbourne wrote:

> So, we are an ISP, and when we co-locate equipment with businesses, many times part of the deal is that
> we give them connectivity.
>
> Now, in many places, we cannot put them on their own interface on our router, so they wind up being
> plugged into the same ether that we use for our dial equipment with a secondary address. These are all
> Cisco routers. We want to see wxactly how much traffic the businesses are pushing versus the traffic
> we push. Is there a way I can monitor them separately? I tried monitoring by IP, but it is not working.

Use an SNMP-manageable switch and monitor their interface.  Better, use
an ISL or dot1q capable switch, and trunk to it, put them on a separate
VLAN.  More scalable, beter security for your network.

Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323