[mrtg] firewall/rsync/mrtg

Daniel R . Kilbourne drk at voyager.net
Wed Mar 14 21:59:08 MET 2001

OK. Another question.

My mrtg server that I work on is currently on a publicly accessible IP address, but password protected since the
people that started mrtg here felt that the stats needed to be kept private.

Now, since first doing mrtg, we have built a firewall for our LAN, and my mrtg server will be moving behind it, but
at a meeting yesterday, it was brought up that our stats will now be released for the general public to look at.

So, I am thinking that I can move the current box behind our firewall, make it function solely as a poller,
and build a web server on a public IP, and use rsync to copy my rrd files (I use rrdtool with 14all.cgi) from the poller
to the web server.

Has anyone had to deal with something similar? Are there any pitfalls I should look out for? Anyone have better ideas
or suggestions for dealing with my task?

--
Daniel R. Kilbourne
daniel.kilbourne at voyager.net
Network Engineering