[mrtg] Re: Threshold problems with 2.9.10

Daniel B. Widdis aqua at compuserve.com
Fri Mar 16 01:49:24 MET 2001

Paul,

I've recently tried to implement threshholds in 2.9.10 and ran into some
similar problems as you, but not all of them.

Although the documentation indicates that establishing a ThreshDir will only
cause threshhold scripts to be run once when the threshhold is crossed, this
does not appear to be the case.  They run repeatedly.  I fixed this by
having my script file create its own lockfile and aborting the script if the
lockfile exists.  (The ThreshProgOK script then deletes the lockfile.

It appears (for me) to only run the ThreshProgOK script once.  I have only
encountered the repeated script problem when over threshhold values, however
(and the program appears to assume a threshhold of 0 if none is specified).

I might suggest you establish very high threshholds for those routers you do
not wish to run the script (perhaps a global ThreshMaxI[_]: 100% or more).

Finally, the difference in symptoms may be because I'm on a Linux system and
you're on an NT system.  I think the bottom line is that Threshholds still
aren't quite meeting the design specification and you need to account for
the differences yourself until these little buglets get fixed.

Dan