[mrtg] Problem with SNMP variable

Jeff White jeff_white at xelus.com
Fri Mar 23 18:23:00 MET 2001

I am trying to get MRTG 2.9.10 to retrieve an value via snmp and am getting the following errors:

 WARNING: Could not match host:'public at 10.4.3.4' ref:'' key:''
ERROR: Target[xmon1] eval warning: Bareword "enterprises" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at (eval 6) line 1.
Bareword "empire" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at (eval 6) line 1.
Bareword "cpuGroup" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at (eval 6) line 1.
Bareword "cpuTotalIdlePercent" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at (eval 6) line 1.

I have tried all combinations of listing the snmp variable and I always get the same error.  I have not tried the OID yet but based on the documentation I should be able to use the variable descriptions if I load the MIB.  I know I need two variables to graph, which I have tried, but I still get the same errors.

I have the UCD-SNMP tools installed and can do an snmpget of this variable, and others, from the command line.

My current config file is below, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Htmldir: /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.10/html
ImageDir: /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.10/images
LogDir: /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.10/logs
RunAsDaemon: Yes
Interval: 5
LoadMIBs: /usr/local/share/snmp/mibs/empire.asn1

Target[xmon1]: cpuTotalIdlePercent.0:public at 10.4.3.4
Title[xmon1]: xmon1 CPU Utilization
PageTop[xmon1]: <H1>xmon1 CPU Utilization</H1>
MaxBytes[xmon1]: 100
Unscaled[xmon1]: ymwd
ShortLegend[xmon1]: %
YLegend[xmon1]: % utilization