[mrtg] AW: Pipe Line

"Helmert, Jörg" Joerg.Helmert at EINSTEINet.de
Thu Mar 29 12:20:46 MEST 2001

Hi,

there were times, where I took the time to sort
all that important mails into subfolders... ;-)

So I went there, since that ascend stuff is
somewhat old (I recieved below information in 1999)...

...and I found an old mail from Larry Leszczynski.
Although I never used that syntax, for me
it looks like it works.

It sums up the 10 wanxxx I mentioned in my
mail last week.

So here it is. May this help some people
save the time to search the huge list archive...

bye,

 Joerg Helmert

###########from here on: mail from Larry Leszczynski

Ascend has a very unique and stupid implimentation of SNMP
that drives me nuts.  The two big problems are:
1.  Disappearing OID's when the router goes offline.
Compare the results of:
	snmpwalk ascend_router_IP public iso
when the router is up or down.  Some OID's just disappear
when it's down.
2.  Random selection of "ports" per connection with no
apparent or obvious rhyme or reason.

The best you can do is monitor the *TOTAL* traffic in and out.
Quoting from a previous identical question which could have been
easily found in the mailing list archives:

(...)
I just add them all up, so it doesn't matter which two ports get used
when the ISDN channels connect (the rest will be zero):

Target[Pipeline50]: 2:;public at 1.2.3.4
  + 3:;public at 1.2.3.4
  + 4:;public at 1.2.3.4
  + 5:;public at 1.2.3.4
  + 6:;public at 1.2.3.4
  + 7:;public at 1.2.3.4
  + 8:;public at 1.2.3.4
  + 9:;public at 1.2.3.4
  + 10:;public at 1.2.3.4
  + 11:;public at 1.2.3.4
  + 12:;public at 1.2.3.4

   NOTE: The spaces at the beginning of the continuation lines are
        important!

Other relevant setting which I use on our Pipeline 50s:

 Options[Pipeline50]: growright,bits
 Unscaled[Pipeline50]: wmy
 WithPeak[Pipeline50]: wmy
 YSize[Pipeline50]: 200