[mrtg] Re: rrd-tool, mrtg, 14all.cgi and multiple devices

Julien Borne julien.borne at detexis.thomson-csf.com
Thu Mar 29 15:01:47 MEST 2001

Can't you just use a variable to keep in memory the argument given by 'dir'? I
remember that in ASP I did "url=Request.QueryString(dir)", and so the 'dir' from
http://.../name.asp?dir=name was used to take the 'name' given and put it into
the url variable... Then I used 'url' in all my page, such as:
if (url=name1) then
endif
if (url=name2)then.....
or with ucase (url) I think...
Well it worked with asp, and I think CGI scripts may be able to do this as well.

Not sure, but you may try it.

Good luck

Julien Borne

Omar Abas a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I recently got my mrtg system working with rrdtool and 14all.cgi. From what
> i've understood from the documentation, I HAVE to create a a .cgi file for
> EVERY .cfg file.
>
> for example
>
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/name1.cgi?dir=name1\ for the first router
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/name2.cgi?dir=name2\ for the second router and so
> on....
>
> The network I have been asssigned to monitor consists of a few hundred cisco
> devices.
>
> My question is, is there a way to create one .cgi file that will create the
> graphs for ALL the .cfg files.
>
> for example
>
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/name1.cgi?dir=name1\
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/name1.cgi?dir=name2\
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/name1.cgi?dir=name3\
>
> NOTICE how the same .cgi file was used for all devices unlike the previous
> example. This is obviously a more efficient way of doing things.
>
> The .cgi file has the all the paths hard coded into it so that it points to
> the relevant .cfg file, how would we overcome that? Please advise whether
> this is possible or not.
>
> any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> omar