[mrtg] Re: Error with cfg

Roth, Gabrielle gabrielle.roth at xo.com
Thu Mar 29 23:16:23 MEST 2001

Oh dear, it looks like I confused you more.

You don't have to have the cisco MIBs installed on the unix box from which
you are polling.  They are nice to have because they will translate the
numerical OID to a text string, which is (occasionally) more user-friendly
than the number string.  (Personally I find the number strings easier to
remember and easier to type, but I think I'm the only one.)  mrtg will still
work without having the MIBs installed on your mrtg box, you will just have
to specify a numerical OID instead of a text OID.

What I meant when I said "the OID you are trying to use is not supported on
the machine you are trying to poll" is the _Cisco_ box doesn't understand
that OID.  It doesn't matter if you have the MIB loaded on your unix machine
or not--if the Cisco box doesn't understand what you're asking for, it won't
be able to return an answer.

So, you tried to poll this OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.39.1.1.5.5.4 and you got a
'noSuchName' error.  This is telling you that the Cisco box doesn't
recognize this as a specific instance.  I don't have any of these to test
this on, but I suspect that if you did the following:
snmpwalk [yer box] [community] 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.39.1.1.5.5.4
you would get back something like this:
enterprises.9.10.39.1.1.5.5.4.0 = [something]
*That's* the OID you want to use.  Try adding a '.0' to the end of your OID
and see what happens.

Familiarize yourself with the snmp cli tools--they are the best tools for
troubleshooting mrtg.

Here are a couple of good intro snmp links:
http://www.david-guerrero.com/papers/snmp/
http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/snmp.htm

This is a link to Cisco's MIB reference;  use this to find out which MIBs
are supported on your equipment.
http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/netmgmt/cmtk/mibs.shtml

-gr