[mrtg] Re: Update every 1 Minute and not 5 minute?

Jakob Ilves jakob.ilves at oracle.com
Thu May 3 09:12:03 MEST 2001

Hello!

"Ashley M. Kirchner" wrote:

> David Eshelman wrote:
>
> > it can be done with MRTG
> > i am running Win2k server...
> > using task scheduler i have it call a batch script every minute
> > which runs MRTG for the configs i specify...
>
>     MRTG (rateup really) doesn't LOG in less than 300 seconds.  Open your log
> files and you'll see that every time interval has 300 second in between.  Sure,
> you can run MRTG a zillion times if you want, but it won't log it as such.

If a user uses rrdtool for storing the data, will it then help to have updates once
per minute?  I know that MRTG/rrdtool do resampling of the data to so the rrd-file
contains only datapoints on an even 5 minute boundary but it would still make sense
to do multiple polling of an interface within such a 5 minute interval.  The reason
is that I've encountered quite a few cases where 32-bit counters are incremented in
a reliable fashion and when 64-bit counters aren't (or the latter is entirely
unavailable).  No problem for 100BaseTX/FDDI or slower interfaces but troublesome
when dealing with OC3 and Gigabit speeds.

The scenario I have here is for the boxes with poor 64-bit (or SNMPv2) support to
query 32 bit counters for a OC3 speed interface once every 150 seconds (2.5min) and
for Gigabit interfaces once evey 30 seconds.  (For boxes with good 64-bit support I
stick with 5 minute polling of those 64-bit counters, of course).

(When I mean when I say that 64 bit counters are unreliable or unavailable is that
the operating system of the equipment simply has bad support for those counters and
that upgrading the box to a higher operating system version isn't an option for
various reasons.  The only reliable option is the 32 bit counters..)

Any light shed on this would be appreciated!

Best regards

/IlvJa

>     AMK4
>
> --
> H | Hi, I'm currently out of my mind.  Please leave a message.  BEEEEP!

                (Jakob Ilves) <jakob.ilves at oracle.com>
             {Oracle Global IT, Network Management Group}
[Office as well as mobile phone: +46/8/477 3666 | Fax: +46/8/477 3572]
         - Intranet Home Page: http://jilves.se.oracle.com -

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Desc: Card for Jakob Ilves
-- Size: 444 bytes