[mrtg] Re: Problem with daemon

Ruth Wainwright Ruth.Wainwright at X-TANT.COM
Wed May 9 16:39:44 MEST 2001

Reboot - should kill all processes. Remove the lock file then restart mrtg.
If you want to stop mrtg (which you must each time you amend on it on NT),
go to the task manager and kill the perl process this is the easiest way.

Ruth Wainwright

Network Operations Manager
X-tant

Tel No: 01527 49 48 33
Mobile: 07788 566 208

-----Original Message-----
From: Huie, Steve [mailto:HUIE at FinancialTech.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 3:28 PM
To: Mrtg (E-Mail)
Subject: [mrtg] Problem with daemon

I'm a first time user of this forum.  I have a problem trying to create new
files from my mrtg.cfg file.  When I update the mrtg.cfg file the html pages
for the new IP address does not create itself.  I am able to stop the MRTG
service from running, however, I cannot stop Perl.exe from running.  When I
go to Task Manager to "End Process," I get an error saying "Access is
denied."  Then, I try to manually run mrtg from command prompt
(c:\mrtg-2.9.2\bin> perl mrtg mrtg.cfg).  I get an error saying:

"ERROR: I guess another MRTG is running.  A lockfile (mrtg.cfg_l) aged 88787
seconds is hanging around and I can't remove it becuase another process is
still using it. at mrtg line 1150."

Does anyone know what this message is saying?
What other process is using MRTG?
If I go to Task Manager, can I manually end this other process?

Currently, I'm running MRTG version 2.9.2.  I'm using Srvany.exe to run MRTG
as a service and I have "Runasdaemon: yes" on my mrtg.cfg file.

Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.