[mrtg] Re: Configuring Mrtg

Julien Borne julien.borne at fr.thalesgroup.com
Mon May 14 10:32:38 MEST 2001

Steve a écrit :

> Hey,
>         hi i am new to this list. i am trying to get mrtg to work on my linux server but am a bit lost and was woundering if someone could please help me get set up.

Hi,  I've recently been a newby here too ;-P

> ok ive installed it and all and i got up to
>
> cfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /home/httpd/mrtg'  \
>           --global 'Options[_]: bits,growright' \
>           --output /home/mrtg/cfg/mrtg.cfg    \
>            community at router.abc.xyz
>
> i was woundering what does community at router.abc.xyz mean, my hostname is mos.eisa.net.au  so should it be public at mos.eisa.net.au ?.

community is the community name (public by default) of the device you want to "look at". router.abc.xyz could be it's IP, name... so if your goal was to see the bandwith

used by a switch (like 75.48.125.54 for example), you'd just have to use public at 75.48.125.54 . Then cfgmaker makes the right config file... Easy, isn't it? ;-)
Just try to make cfg files to begin (with cfgmaker, not by hand! later...), then search how to do it for the right devices you want to monitor.

> Also i have to make the mrtg dir's  in my www dir dont I?

Dunno, using it under Solaris...

Hope this helps

Julien