[mrtg] routers.cgi / diff. conf files / what about global options?

Core^dump@mailandnews.com core^dump at MailAndNews.com
Fri May 18 13:20:42 MEST 2001

Hello,

I'm lost in the structure that has to be set up...

I installed all the basic stuff (including rrdtool), everything fine. I always
used the latest stable versions under FreeBSD 4.3

When I start Apache and mrtg (with options to use rrdtool) and browse to my
site, the whole directory structure for my routers is there, but no content
(in fact, the only files generated are the logfiles .rrd).

As far as I can tell that's allright (graphics will be generated 'on demand'
by a cgi script?)
So I could choose from 2 cgi-scripts (according to
~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg-rrd.html): 14allcgi OR routers.cgi. I choose for
routers.cgi (more 'stylish' :)
When I read the INSTALL that comes with routers.cgi it says that one of the
demands for routers.cgi is that all the routers should have a config file of
their own.

So I wrote a little script that takes as argument the routername and makes the
appropriate cfg file.

Now my question: what do I do with the global options?
For example: "forks: 4" or "RunAsDaemon: yes". I can't put them in every
configuration file I have (or can I?) Should I make some kind of basic file
with all my global options and a reference to the dir with all the
config-files? How does it all fit together!?

Who could help me finding my way again? :)

Another question is the front-end part. For example Big Sister. Is that the
same as for example routers.cgi? Or is this something completely different?
And if so, how does it fit in the global picture then!?

Thanx in advance!

Coredump