[mrtg] Re: SNMP Interface

Nick Jones Nick at ipgod.net
Mon May 28 18:46:19 MEST 2001

When you add an interface to a router it will reassign the index numbers
when the router is rebooted.  Cisco finally fixed this problem in IOS
version 12.1(5)T with a feature called "Interface Index Persistence".
Once you enable Interface Index Persistence you can run cfgmaker and
monitor all of the interfaces that are currently on the router.  The
next time you add an interface just make sure you add it to MRTG.
Another problem we've run into is changing the IP we're monitoring.  In
that case you can setup a loopback interface.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Nick Jones CCNA, CCDA, MCSE, CCA
nick at ipgod.net
713.590.2341 x5721