[mrtg] Monitoring HTTP only - Please Help

Mohamed El-Shinawi mshinawi at icl.com.eg
Tue May 29 12:13:04 MEST 2001

Dear All,
I'm just beginning evaluating SNMP SW for a specific requirement, with
little experience. And I thought of asking the experts first, so any
help will be appreciated.

The requirement is:
Monitoring the traffic generated by a web server (Win2k,IIS) and having
charts for daily, weekly and monthly traffic.
I want to do that from the router not from the server itself (using
performance monitor) to have the traffic generated by the server from
outside my LAN. Using performance monitor will have all IIS users
traffic together (from the same LAN and outside).
As I said before, I want that to be running 24*7 as a service without
any user intervention.

Could anybody tell me if this is possible using MRTG or not?
If yes, could you plz provide some directions as I'm still beginning.
If no, could you plz tell how todo it using the performance monitor (all
traffic together) as a part of the requirements.

Thanks in advance.
--
MShinawi
Systems Engineer -- MCSE+I