[mrtg] Re: Which one to use?

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Tue May 29 13:39:36 MEST 2001

Tom,

All joking aside, the best thing you can do to run it under Win2k is to install Linux.  I wasn't very strong in it until installing MRTG, and since the box only does mrtg and web hosting duties, that is perfect for my situation.  Short of that, your best bet is to check out http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc and follow the steps in there.  Garth is a regular contributor here, and the site is pretty well organized.

One big step is to move away from rateup.  That's the piece that is probably the most resource intensive element of the whole setup.  Using either routers.cgi or 14all.cgi as a front-end would be a safe move as well.  Once you feel more comfortable, you can even write your own front end to do more datapoints, different frequency, different colors, etc.

Paul

>>> "Tom Wilcox" <tom_wilcox at hotmail.com> 05/28/01 10:47AM >>>

Hello Everyone

I am new to this MRTG and other network monitoring. I installed MRTG and
want to monitor in excess of 200 routers. My problem is, that just
monitoring 10 routers with MRTG, every 5 mins, takes up a lot of resources.

Is there anyway to cut down on this usage. I have seen a lot of front-endp
 roducts to use with the RRDTool but am not sure which would be easiest andm
 ost efficient to use on WIn 2K machine?

If somebody could help me out, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tom WIlcox