[mrtg] Re: ERROR: I guess another mrtg is running.

Les Jones lcjones at mis.net
Fri Nov 2 15:08:24 MET 2001

Lewis Bergman wrote:

>Hi, I just installed mrtg yesterday and have a question which I can't find in
>the FAQ, manual, or lists. This is using the current debian package.
>I know it must be in there somewhere because it seems so straightforward.
>
>I have this in my cron entry
>*/5 * * * * mrtg --user=mrtg --group=mrtg --logging /var/log/mrtg.log
>/etc/mrtg.cfg
>(all on one line)
>
>This hits roots mail from crontab each time it runs from:
>ERROR: I guess another mrtg is running. A lockfile
>(/var/lock/mrtg/_etc_mrtg.cfg_l) aged
>0 seconds is hanging around. If you are sure that no other mrtg
>is running you can remove the lockfile
>
>The log is empty. I am getting this each time it runs. All graphs are updated
>and display correctly.

the 2.9.17 mrtg builds a pid file in the /bin directory. rm the pid and
and see if that helps. i'm not sure, but you may have to build a script
to rm the pid each time cron runs ???

you do have to kill the current running process in order to restart mrtg
anyway.

btw, did you use the RunAsDaemon option ?

les