[mrtg] Re: forking details

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Wed Nov 14 20:05:35 MET 2001

> There's no reason why you can't run multiple mrtg processes
> with multiple config files.  We run 6 different config files
> here to aid in admin with 6 different mrtg processes.
> By splitting the config files you could have a seperate
> config file for each of your 'biggies' thereby resolving any
> possible effect on anything else.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave
>
>>Have you considered splitting your configs into several smaller
>>ones and still use the forks option within the configs.
>>or
>>If it's a small group of devices that are going down every week,
>>you could make this group separate to the rest.
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>David Sawyer

(I should have put this in the original message) but the reason
I don't want to run mulitple cfg files is because I use a java
appelate called alitree which makes calls to 14all.cgi to
organize/display my mrtg pages.
It's considerably more complicated to add new devices, and organize
them in the tree if I have multiple config files, although now
that the concept is being suggested, I'm thinking that may be the
only way to go. It would also help with the speed & memory issues
I have with 14all.cgi and big cfg files.

Take a look at http://mrtg.gvolk.com for a (small) example of
mrtg+14all+alitree. It's really nice actually. I don't have
the query time cycle problem with the above site because
it's so small. My big mrtg installation is at work, and is not
publicly accessible.

Thanks for the replies.