[mrtg] Re: MRTG tunneling

Dave Williams dave_williams at eli.net
Fri Nov 16 16:58:14 MET 2001

 MRTG indeed uses UDP (SNMP Port 161) and I am pretty certain the SNMP agent
running on the routers/workstations cannot be changed to use TCP.  I suspect
your firewall rules are setup to allow TCP packets that are established by
"trusted" hosts to have bidirectional communication with "unstrusted" hosts.
What you need is firewall software that uses "stateful" rules allowing SNMP
Replies from "untrusted" hosts to pass through the firewall in response to a
SNMP Get request from a "trusted" host.  Most enterprise firewall products
can do this.  Hope this helps.

Lars Holmström wrote: Robert,

My understanding is that MRTG it self does not use either UDP or TCP. It is
rather a question for what MRTG is calling. If you for example use a
standard
TARGET based on SNMP you call the module in
<MRTGpath>/lib/mrtg2/SNMP_session.pl

This specific module uses UDP to port 161.

But you may use MRTG and call any pther program. This program may use TCP
for
its communication.

/Lars