[mrtg] Use of the Target directive

Ivette Reategui reategi at mail.nlm.nih.gov
Tue Nov 20 23:02:19 MET 2001

Hi,
I've been using MRTG, successfully, to monitor different devices by creating the cfg files with

cfgmaker --global "blah" community at router

I want to use the Target directive now because I want to graph traffic of different subinterfaces of an atm interface.  I have been looking for info on and off, and I've collected pieces of info here and there (including mrtg ref. manual, of course.)

Anyways I tried  the following:

Target[at-1/0/0.1-bps]: ifInOctets.1&ifOutOctets.1 at 10.10.10.10

And I get the following response:

Target[at-1/0/0.1-bps]:: Too many arguments
[1] 23037
ifOutOctets.1 at 10.10.10.10: Command not found

[1]    Exit 1               Target[at-1/0/0.1-bps]: ifInOctets.1

I really do not understand if I need to put the Target directive at the command line without the "cfgmaker" command, or with it, or do I put inside a config file????

Another question does the "bps" in Target[at-1/0/0.1-bps] means "bits/second"? do I need it there?  pardon my ignorance.

I appreciate any help.

- Ivette