[mrtg] Question regarding gauge and unknaszero

Tim Sheets TSheets at Illinois.net
Wed Nov 21 18:47:07 MET 2001

Hello group,

I have a question regarding a gauge and unknaszero.  I currently do not use
the unknaszero option, and have recently set up to monitor several gauges
(environment temperature on Cisco routers), and implemented thresholds to
alert me if the temp goes above 130F or below 35F.  Again, I did *not* use
the unknaszero option.  But, for some reason it seems that if my MRTG
station cannot reach the device(s), it treats it as zero, and I end up
getting pager notification.

Is there any way to prevent this other than not monitoring the below
threshold?  Can anyone explain what I am obviously missing?

I am running on NT4.0 with MRTG2.9.17, and rateup.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tim Sheets
Illinois Century Network
Supervisor, Region VI