[mrtg] Re: how does mrtg work ?

Manish Jain jain at sirius.pc.cis.udel.edu
Thu Nov 22 19:40:02 MET 2001

Hello Lars,

Thanks for the info. However, I was interested in obtaining
the names (OIDs) of the MIB objects that MRTG queries to
produce the graph.

For obtaining the info about the interface, I understand that
mrtg ueries the ifDescr , ifSpeed variables in the Interfaces group.

ifSepeed gives the max speed of the interface.
But the mrtg graph ( several that I have looked at ) show that many a
times , the inbound or outbound traffic in the last 5 min was more than
the max speed of the interface.
How do you explain this ?

I read the faq and the documentation, and couldnt find answer to this
question in them.

--
manish jain
university of delaware,newark

I love deadlines. I like the wooshing sound they make as they fly by.
-Douglas Adams
(contributed by Richard Roberts)