[mrtg] Re: different error now

Roth, Gabrielle gabrielle.roth at xo.com
Tue Nov 27 23:33:21 MET 2001

> Still trying to get this to graph incoming/outgoing traffic
> on our Cisco
> 2900xl series switch. Here is the error we get now:

At least you are getting a different error message.  That means you've made
some progress. :)

> [root bin]# SNMP Error:
> no response received

...etc.
This is in the FAQ:  http://faq.mrtg.org/FAQ021.html

> Is there a way to specify the sysUptime and sysName, also how
> do I find out if this is even the correct OIDs? Thanks in advance

I don't think that's your problem, yet, due to your snmpwalk results below.

> After trying the snmpget or snmpwalk I get the following:
>
> [root bin]# snmpwalk switch1.webintellects.com public system
>
> An error occurred, Quitting (not much to go on with this error)

You're right, that error is not very informative.  The only times I've seen
this specific error were when my polling box (the box you're running the
snmpwalk from) was not in the access list of the router I was polling.  I'm
not saying that's definitely what's happening here, that's just been my
experience.   I would suggest contacting the sysadmin of the switch you are
trying to poll and working with them to troubleshoot this.

If you are the admin, check your switch configuration:  are you using the
right community string?  How about an acl?

Hang in there.

-gabrielle
"Five out of four people have a problem with math."