[mrtg] Re: Monitoring Cisco 6509 CPU %

Roth, Gabrielle gabrielle.roth at xo.com
Fri Nov 30 16:38:08 MET 2001

Aha, you have fallen for one of the classic blunders.  Never assume that a
CISCO OID that's supported on one device will be supported on another,
especially if one of those devices is a router and the other is a switch.

For Cisco MIBs:

Go to http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/netmgmt/cmtk/mibs.shtml

Pick your device from the appropriate list, in this case, LAN switches.  You
will get back a list of supported MIBs related to software versions.  This
is where is gets tricky...you kind of have to know what you're looking for
to be able to find it.  Here's a hint:  Try CISCO-PROCESS-MIB first. :)

To get the fully-qualified OIDs, go back out to the main page, and go to the
"OIDs" link.  From there, go to CISCO-PROCESS-MIB again, and look up the OID
name.  This is a little easier and more accurate than trying to figure it
out from the MIB itself IMO.

If you missed my post about the temperature the other day: I'd recommend
walking this section of the mib from the command line to familiarize
yourself with your data instead of just blindly plugging in OIDs.

-gabrielle
"Five out of four people have a problem with math."