[mrtg] Part II, negative counters?

Tyler J. Frederick tyler at sportsline.com
Mon Oct 1 16:34:40 MEST 2001

Hrmm, shoulda looked at everything before posting to the list this
morning.  Oh well.  Anyhow, as you all probably saw in my previous post, I
switched over to RRDtool this past Thursday, but I left my previous setup
(MRTG run as daemon, generating everything) up and active.  I'm now
comparing some graphs that were made with RRDtool to the onces that MRTG
makes natively.  (Keep in mind that I use 14all.cgi to generate my graphs,
so limitations in that may be causing this).

I graph packets accepted/dropped on my firewall-1 machines.  When I came
in this morning, I looked at my RRDtool/14all.cgi graphs and noticed that
one of my firewalls was showing zero accepted packets.  I looked at my
MRTG graphs and it was showing the correct numbers.  Upon querying the
OID/Instance, I saw the counter was (wrapped?) in the negative numbers
approaching zero.. Rateup seemed to handle this fine, but my RRDtool
generated graphs are all twinked up.  So I guess my question is is this a
limitation of 14all.cgi, or MRTG/RRDtool used together?  Also, if it's a
14all limitation, all my data SHOULD be correct and should match the
rateup generated graphs once I fix the 'bug' (provided one exists) in
14all.cgi?  Finally, just some clarification.  I run MRTG as a daemon with
RRDtool.  It seems that as 14all/RRDtool are generating the graphs, the
only time I should have to restart the MRTG daemon is if I add or remove a
target, correct?  Thanks in advance for everyone's help...

tf.

--
Tyler J. Frederick
Systems Engineer/CCSE