[mrtg] Re: MRTG not saving history of plot in .log files

diget+mrtg at unix.cc.wmich.edu diget+mrtg at unix.cc.wmich.edu
Sat Oct 6 17:20:41 MEST 2001

What we do is the following:

>From our global-mailstat-messsages.cfg:
---------------------------------------
Options[_]: growright, noinfo, nopercent, transparent, absolute
YLegend[_]: messages/minute
ShortLegend[_]: msgs/min

LegendI[_]:  Incoming:
LegendO[_]:  Outgoing:
Legend1[_]: Incoming mail messages per minute
Legend2[_]: Outgoing mail messages per minute
Legend3[_]: Maximal 5 minute Incoming messages
Legend4[_]: Maximal 5 minute Outgoing messages

Title[$]:  sendmail statistics - message count
PageTop[$]:  sendmail statistics - message count</H1>

And then the target is:
-----------------------
Target[messages-3]: mailstats * 60

This gives us the number of messages per minute.  What we found is
that you can NOT use the gauge and perminute option as they are
exculsive.  Same applies for the guage and perhour option.  (I posted
to this effect back in June and suggested that this be noted in the
documentation.)  As is noted below, MRTG will divide the data sample
by the time measurement delta.  I have found that the math on the
target line is handled before the time delta division is done,
therefore, you can multiply by 60 to get a per minute (assuming a 5
minute sample), by 300 to get a per 5 minute values.

One thing to possibly note, is that we are not using the
contrib/mailstat program.  We took it and modified it so that the
client side is a Bourne shell script and returns to the perl program
on the MRTG machine a guage value of sendmail's mailstat output for
the values we are lookging for.  See
http://unix.cc.wmich.edu/mrtg/systems/gw1/mail.html for some sample
output.

Derek Diget