[mrtg] Re: Any ethernet switch which always floods?

Daniel J McDonald dmcdonald at digicontech.com
Wed Oct 17 15:53:23 MEST 2001

Let's say you want to put 4 devices on this monitoring device.  Taps are a
couple of hundred bucks.  A switch is a thousand or so.  Would four taps in
serial be cheaper than a switch?

I personally don't see anything wrong with using a hub off the tapped port,
since you are only going to be able pull one direction from a tap, and the
Sniffer/IDS/RMON Probe/Content filter/Website approver shouldn't be making
any noise out of that interface anyway....