[mrtg] Re: Log file names - argh..

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Oct 19 17:01:58 MEST 2001

So you have a few choices...

1.  Add a directive to do the interfaces by something other than
interface metric:

 --ifref=nr        interface references by Interface Number (default)
 --ifref=ip                         ... by Ip Address
 --ifref=eth                        ... by Ethernet Number
 --ifref=descr                      ... by Interface Description
 --ifref=name                       ... by Interface Name
 --ifref=type                       ... by Interface Type

2.  When regenerating the config, copy the old data to the new name.

3.  When generating the config, rename the targets in the new config
to the old file name.

Anyway you do it, you have to change something.  You could call your
file name 'cheesemuncher.log' and the Target[cheesemuncher]: for
all mrtg cares.  It does not store the name of the file in some "secret"
place inside the data file.

Paul

>>> "John Jackson" <j.jackson at umassp.edu> 10/19/01 10:45AM >>>

Hi all:

     I have dutifully made a real effort to find the answer to this
question in the docs.  I can't though.  So, if it's in the manual, I will
happily RTFM if you can point me to where :)

     What is the best way to try and deal with log file names changing
when I use cfgmaker to re-create my mrtg.cfg with different options?  I
would like to use some of the newest options for the type of names and
descriptions that cfgmaker can now do but whenever I do, the mrtg.cfg file
that I get causes mrtg to create log files with new names instead of using
my existing log files (and the history they contain, which I want to
retain).  I agree that this sounds like it would have to be something that
someone has already asked about - so, I apologize if I have overlooked it
in the documentation somewhere.  Thanks for your time.

-John Jackson
University of Massachusetts Information Systems