[mrtg] Re: Routing Protocols

Tim Kennedy tkennedy at yellowbrix.com
Sun Oct 21 05:12:56 MEST 2001

Mike,

Here's a shell script I have to update a table og bgp routes that I use
with Flowscan.

#!/bin/sh
#
#
# rsh to the router, and get the routes
#
/usr/ucb/rsh -l user router show ip bgp > bgp.new
#
#
# muck with the file so flowscan will see the "show ip bgp"
#
cp bgp.routes bgp.routes.old
echo "sho ip bgp" > bgp.routes
cat bgp.new >> bgp.routes
#
#

modify to your needs.
I suppse you could just "cat | wc -l" that file to get the number
of routes in your table.  Should be easy enough to do.

You need to allwo rsh to your router, so I strongly suggest that
you access-list it so that it's only allowed from the machine that
you're running the script from, and that you limit the user, and
the user's permissions.

Else, you could run it in an expect script, which could login via
tacacs or something, and supply a password and username, and you can
limit in tacacs the permissions for the user.

The relevent entries in your cisco config would look like:

!
ip rcmd rsh-enable
ip rcmd remote-host local-username {ip-address | host} remote-username [enable [level]]
!

As for the eigrp, I don't know.  haven't used it in a long time, and my brain
hasn't worked as well, ever since I finished the 5th grade.

Cheers,

-Tim

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Michael Kilpatrick spake thus:

> I would like to implement MRTG charts to monitor:
>    -number of IP routes in routing table
>    -stability of EIGRP process (i.e. neighbor uptime, active queries, etc)
> Does anyone know any direct SNMP OID's for these values... or does
>  anyone have any scripts or advice they can share from past experience?
> Thanks. Mike
>

> --

Timothy Kennedy
Director of Network Operations