[mrtg] Re: Incorrect graphs for Frame Relay

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Oct 26 07:24:02 MEST 2001

How often are you polling the router?  What is the value in MaxBytes?  Was it a constant 48k, or peaks where 48k was hit some time in a 5 minute period and then went back down to a little usage.  Remember, MRTG will miss the peaks, unless they are sustained for greater than 5 minutes.  MRTG will do rate of change, not total value transmitted over a period of time.  It can be "massaged" to do that, but it doesn't do it out of the box.  Remember the example in one of the FAQs.

You have a room, this is like your available bandwidth.  In a 5 minute period, 0 people are in the room, 2 people walk in, 1 walks out, 22 walk in, 4 walk out, 16 walk out, 7 walk in.  Then the poll comes.
You've got 10 people in the room, even though your peak usage of the room was 23 people, your poll will only reflect that there were 10 people in the room.  I know it's way more complicated than that, but remember that when you are measuring stats.  If you need greater resolution, switch to RRDTool.

Paul

>>> Michael Pope <mpope at perth.sns.slb.com> 10/26/01 00:31 AM >>>

I've been using MRTG for a few months and recently noticed that on the Frame
Relay circuits I'm monitoring the graphs never exceed the CIR.  On a link
with 64K access and 32K CIR I had the Telco run a test while the line was
under load.  They advised the line was peaking to 48K during the 2 hour test
but I didn't see this on the MRTG graph.  Can anyone explain this and tell
me how I can fix it as the graphs appear to be very misleading?

Thanks

	Mick