[mrtg] Re: Calculate the link traffic

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at gandi.net
Fri Oct 26 17:24:58 MEST 2001

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 12:24:45PM -0300,
 Alejandro Cabrera Obed <sisdis at tournet.com.ar> wrote
 a message of 32 lines which said:

> If I want to calculate the maximun traffic of the link in order to compare
> to the rented bandwidth (in my case 64 Kbps), I ask you: Do I have to add
> the both values and then apply the formula * 8 bits / 1024 in order to
> obtain the result in Kbps or do I have to just take the Max In or Max Out
> value ????

Typical leased lines, such as T1 or E1, (warning: this is not true for
ADSL, neither for half-duplex Ethernet links) are bidirectional and
symmetric. Which means that, when you rent a 64 kbps, you get two
independant channels of 64 kbps, one ingoing and one outgoing.