[mrtg] Small problem with external program

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Sep 5 19:38:28 MEST 2001

I'm having a problem getting an external program to
work correctly with MRTG.  If anyone is interested
in the details (and a possible solution), I'd be very
grateful for the help.

Situation is this:

Two files exist on a remote machine that I only have ftp
access to.  I need to get these two files, do a wc -l on them
and feed that info to MRTG.  Then do this again every
5 minutes.

Any quick and easy solution?  I've tried with putting everything
on a single command line, and just can't seem to get it to work.
Maybe putting everything in a shell script?

MRTG box is linux, ftp box is NT.

Thanks,
Paul