[mrtg] Re: AW: ping probe & W2K

Dowling, Steve Steve.Dowling at tafensw.edu.au
Wed Sep 12 02:13:03 MEST 2001

Richard,

i found the page http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Rampart/9209/ to be
incredibly useful.

Steve Dowling

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Stinchcombe [mailto:richard at mn.xdsl.ne.jp]
Sent: Tuesday, 11 September 2001 22:08
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Re: AW: ping probe & W2K

FYI, there is a good "primer" for w2k and mrtg located at
http://snmpboy.rte.microsoft.com.  It shows how to monitor W2K with SNMP,
shows how to export "performance monitor's" for snmp and even offers some
sample mrtg.cfg.

I have one favor.  Please answer these two questions for me:
1.  In the PERFMIB primer it says, "Use of the MIB-II HOSTS MIB is
recommended over PERFMIB... What is and where is MIB-II HOSTS MIB.
2.  I couldn't get it to work.  I did the following:
     aa.  Copied perfmib.dll abd permib to the %system32% directory
     bb.  Merged the two reg files (yes, I checked and it installed
correctly)
     cc.  Restarted the SNMP service.
    After doing above, I do not get ANY of the private MIBs it says I can
get.
    The only error I can see in the event log is as follows:

		The Open Procedure for service "Nbf" in DLL
            "C:\WINNT\system32\perfctrs.dll" failed.
             Performance data for this service will not be
             available. Status code  returned is data DWORD 0.

Believe Nbf is NetBios(f?).  Anyway, I think it says I just won't be able to
get data for Nbf...so, I should be able to get data for all the other
performance data but I don't.

Any suggestions?  Any links for the same sort of thing?

Best regards,
Richard Stinchcombe