[mrtg] 14all.cgi, too much grids

Håkan Lindholm hakan at spray.se
Thu Sep 20 20:10:02 MEST 2001

Dear MRTG & 14all users,

we run MRTG 2.9.17, 14all.cgi 1.1p15 and rrdtool 1.0.33 on Solaris 8 as well
as Debian 2.2. PERL version is 5.005_03.

The migration from rateup to rrdtool was a piece of cake reading
www.geocities.com/paulcwilliamson/mrtg/rateup2rrd.html and some docs from
www.mrtg.org. Everything is running smooth.

My colleagues though, thinks that the old "rateup" graphs were more easy to
read. They says these new RRD graphs have too much grid lines. That led me
down into the 14all CGI source code trying to understand how the CGI calls
RRDs::graph.  Now, this was a bit harder...

A possibility I have identified is to exclude any grid lines except the
major grid (MGRID). Line 355 (or 357?) of 14all.cgi defines the color of
these grid lines, and setting the color of "GRID" til "#FFFFFF" (white) is
possible, but what if I would like to exclude it?

        push
@args,'--alt-y-grid','--lazy','-c','MGRID#000000','-c','GRID#FFFFFF';

It should be some tweaking to @args, but how?  Anyone familiar with this
willing to share their experiences?

Thanks in advance
 Hakan Lindholm
 Senior Network Administrator
 Lycos Europe / Spray Network

--
                                          SPRAY NETWORK SERVICES AB
       System, Network and Security Architecture and Administration